Monday, September 14, 2009

Another privy tale

As a parent of two children close in age, I was thrilled at the prospect of cutting our diapering in half. As soon as Lea showed an interest I was on it. Once she set her mind on it (and the prospect of candy! Yay for reward systems!) and after several failed attempts something clicked. When she was ready, she practically trained herself. She had 1 accident while playing outside with a friend, and has wet the bed only once, the first night. Of course I thought this was normal. Silly me.


Along came Anna. My stubborn little girl. I tried to go at her pace but she fought us quite a bit. I figured that she wasn’t ready and gave up. But never underestimate her. A few weeks later I started encouraging her to use the potty or wear her big girl undies. I was going to say that she was having a much harder time of it than Lea but I realize that that is not entirely fair. I cannot compare. She just does her own thing on her own time at her own pace. Ahem. She has had several accidents, the worst of which in a Home Depot with an unprepared and inexperienced Mommy. But, a month later, I think I see the light at the end of the tunnel.


She has now graduated from the little potty to the regular folk toilet. I don’t want to proclaim myself diaper free for fear of jinxing it but I think I am pretty darn close. Pull ups are now worn solely at night and she is waking up more or less dry. She has also woken up during the night to use the facilities (which means I get up to get her out of her crib and take her to said facilities – sounds like fun doesn’t it!) But, she has started preschool and not had any problems. She is napping in her undies and still waking up dry. I think she may possibly be potty trained and diaper free. Diaper free. Ah, I love the sound of that!



2 comments:

heavy d said...

cute!

Heather said...

Congrats to the diaper free family! I bet that feels good!