Tuesday, March 4, 2008

Texas Day 1 - the Journey

I made it to Texas! After a long day of travelling with many unexpecteds I have made it to Heathers! In the interest of time, since we have tons of stuff planned, I am going to bullet this entry. Enjoy!



- I realize that sometimes the airport can be a busy place. Which is why I showed up 2 hours earlier as they request. I made it through check-in and security (shoes off please!) went really really fast. I was waiting by the gate by 10:20. This is what I did while I waited: (Of course I won a free coffee which means I have to wait a week to claim it!)






- My first flight from Ottawa to Detroit was really good, and really easy. I had a really interesting lady beside me who told me all about her trip to Canada for Iran and how she was travelling to Brussels to see her brother who's a physician so she could have some dental work done since she can't afford it in Canada. It was really neat to talk to her, and as we waited for our gate to become free (how do they double book a gate when our flight was on time, I guess the other one could have been late????).

- I left my book on the plane. On my first flight. Nuff said.

- I bought 2 magazines in Detroit so I could have something to read on the plane. I didn't have time to get anything to eat or drink since my flight was late getting in and was already boarding when I got back. That flight was too heavy so we spent 45 mins on the runway burning gas so we could meet weight restrictions and take off. Of course I read through an entire magazine while we waited.

- I was very very happy to have packed word finds, fill ins and crossword books. The flight was long (3 hrs) and I read a magazine, tried to nap and did puzzles. I'm a little miffed that they don't give you snacks on the plane anymore. Only drinks. For only 2$ US I could buy a snack size tube of Pringles or a bag of Trail Mix. Unfortunately I had no US dollars.

- I don't know what would possess someone to bring Pistachios, shelled pistachios no less as a snack? The whole, entire flight I listened to crack, chomp chomp, crack, chomp chomp. It wasn't as bad as it could have been I guess. There was no one kicking my seat and the person in front of me did not recline his seat so that his head was in my lap.

- We arrived a little late in Dallas and the landing was rough. Lots of clouds since it was raining. I was happy to get some fresh air (after being in airports in ALL day) and had a hard time believing I was actually in Texas!

2 comments:

Mel :-) said...

Sorry to hear that you lost your book on your first flight!! I am an avid reader too so I feel your pain!
Glad you got to TX, better late than never! So did you take the snow with you from Canada!?!? Have fun, can't wait for updates! :-D

Heather said...

YES!!! She brought the snow with her! But it's okay, we had fun playing in it Tues morn!
Congrats on the free coffee, that rocks!
Bummer about the book, glad we got you a new one! (thanks Steph!)
And it's totally weird to be commenting while you are sitting next to me reading over my shoulder! Ha ha ha!
OH! The pistachio story...SO FUNNY...but totally better to hear it IN PERSON!!!!!!!!!!