Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Drama Magnet

Spring is a time of growth and new beginnings. The same can certainly be said about me as well. I have been doing a lot of introspection about myself, my values and the things that are important to me. I have also been looking at the ways I spend my time and how they make me feel. In the end I have decided that I need to focus my energies on more positive things. You see, for so long I have defined myself by how I can help others. I thought my goal on this earth was to help others, and be a good listener, friend, and offer advice as needed. I used to think that that brought me joy and made me feel satisfied and fulfilled.


Lately something has changed though. I have noticed that in trying to help others and be empathetic, I end up taking on much of the feelings and emotions of the people I am trying to help. These feelings stay with me sometimes for days at a time. They also take away from my ability to have fun, be happy and enjoy my own life and family. I am taking steps to try to fix this. I have ended a few friendships over the last few months that were just too drama-filled for me. I seem to be a drama magnet, I attract it like a moth to a flame.


The new me is trying to find other sources of fulfillment and being confident that I am a good person, even if I’m just doing things for myself. It is very hard for me, and makes me feel selfish but I need this right now. I want to enjoy my life and not always be bogged down by negative people or emotions. That is not to say that I will not be there for, or empathize with my friends. I will just pay more attention to how I internalize those feelings and work harder to let them go.


I am hoping that these changes will make me happier, more free and able to enjoy my life. Stay tuned for new developments!

2 comments:

Heather said...

Very introspective and honest of you, I'm proud! I know it's hard to do this, for yourself, when you are so used to giving yourself for others, but it's important, you deserve it and keep it up! Good luck and I truly hope your life will be filled with more positive energy than negative asap! Luv ya!

anji said...

Amen!