Last summer I looked into preschools for Lea. I decided that since I was having another baby that it might be worthwhile to send her a few days a week so that she gets some time to herself, away from me and so that I get some alone time with the baby. At that point it just wasn’t an option since Lea was not quite old enough.
It occurred to me to call for the fall since she will now be 3, and when I looked up the info online was pleased to see that the cost fit within my budget and I promptly called to ask a few questions. Mainly is it absolutely crucial that my child be potty trained? Fortunately they are ok with pull ups and will help with the potty process. It seems that lots of kids make the final connection when they get to “school” and see all their peers going. So, everything checked out and I hurried over there to pay my deposit and first months fees in order to save her spot. (I also called my good friend Amy to see if she would be interested and she was, so I registered her daughter too! Lea will know someone at “school”! How cute is that!) I found out that my timing was perfect. There are 24 spots in her age group and 21 of the positions had been filled. After registering the girls, there was only 1 spot left.
I must say that I am a little freaked out to be sending my baby to preschool. I mean, when did she get old enough for that? To be away from me? As I was reading the program info I came across a field trip permission form. They are going to take my child, my baby on a field trip? As I start to hyperventilate. I know that this is not until the fall and that it is many months away but I cannot believe that we are already at this point. The program runs for a year and then the following year it will be time to start kindergarten. I have been looking forward to sending her to school for a long time, and for some selfish reasons as well but now that I am faced with that reality I find that I am very sad and scared. I hope that she does well with the separation and I know that ultimately this is what’s best for her, especially given her personality (very bossy!) and the fact that she has not been around a lot of other people other than me and her sister.
I am also trying not to think about how all this will affect Anna. They have been almost like twins, doing everything together. Now for the first time, they will be separated. In my mind, I imagine Anna throwing a fit and not wanting to come home (the school is 2 blocks away, so we will be walking). I am hoping to make those 3 mornings a week special time for Anna and I. I plan to take her to the park, and swimming and doing all the things that are so much harder to do with the 2 of them
I don't know why these pics are so small. Blogger is being silly as usual. These are not great shots but they are recent! Taken just yesterday at a bday party. She's growing up so fast!


5 comments:
I am sure she will have fun at preschool and you will learn to enjoy your time with Anna. Kids grow up so fast, don't they?
I know exactly how you feel, as I look into enrolling Riley in preschool for the first time. It's such a mix of feelings. It's so hard to let go, no matter how much realize they need it (and so do we!). I'm sure Lea will do wonderful at school, especially with a friend there! So exciting! Can't wait to hear about her first day!
She will love it and you will be fine, I promise! It seems a lot harder than it really is! Brooke started at a Mother's Day out (going 2 days a week) when she was 2 and I'd just had Becca. She did great and loved it. We started Becca last fall, a few months before she turned 3 and she loves it too! It is so good for them! (and so good for you to have some time alone with Anna!) Try not to stress over it! :-)
My daughter is finishing her second year in pre-school and it's still weird.
Post a Comment