I have been meaning to blog about going to work for quite some time, but just have not had the chance. A friend of mine mentioned that a new consignment shop run by Moms was opening in my area and that they were looking for sales associates. I decided that it might be something I would enjoy and submitted my resume. I got called back for an interview and was offered a position. At the time of the interview I gave them my availability based on Bees schedule so that we would not need additional child care. I had decided that if I was not available enough than it was their loss and not a big deal to me. They did find my hours to be reasonable and hired me.
I started working about a month ago. There was a learning curve involved and that was a little frustrating but now that I am getting a handle on how to do things, it’s become much easier. I have never worked retail before so that is very new to me, and I must say not very exciting! I do enjoy working with parents and seeing their kids when they come into the store. I already have some repeat customers that know me and like to chat. I have been working 25 hours a week or so and to be honest, have decided that it’s too much.
There are so many things to consider, especially since I am not working for the money (I know, how lucky am I right). However, Bee and I have found that we have no time together, since we’re often saying hi-bye as one of us comes home and the other leaves. It doesn’t leave much time for family either. The days that we do have off together, I find that I spend my time cleaning the house since that’s what suffers the most in my busy-ness. Bee and I talked about it the other night, and it was time for me to be honest and admit that I am stretched too thin and that there is not a very good balance. I miss seeing my friends, having time together with my husband and family and just being able to relax a little more.
I am a perfectionist and total control freak so it was really hard for me to admit that I couldn’t take it all, and that something had to give. But, when it comes to my kids and my family, there is no contest. So, I spoke to my boss and have asked to have my hours reduced, hopefully to two shifts a week (15-20 hrs). She was very agreeable and feels that family is very important and at the same time does not want to lose me (cause I rock! Just kidding! I have lots of customer service experience). So, I have sucked it up, and tried to rearrange my priorities. Hopefully it will help and if not, I will have to reevaluate the whole working thing.
I have the utmost respect for Moms that work full-time. I really don’t know how they do it and still stay sane. There are just not enough hours in the day. But, my situation in also unique and Bee has an erratic work schedule that leaves me a part time single Mom some of the time so my challenges revolve around that. I am hoping that the extra time will allow me to take some much needed (and deserved, I feel) ME time. I miss being able to read, or go out with friends in the evening. I know my friends miss having me around too.
4 comments:
I don't know how you do it, but I'm glad you will be able to lower your hours and breathe a little easier. I have been contemplating a part-time job, maybe nights/weekends or something, but I just don't know, it seems so scary because I already feel like there aren't enough hours in the day! I hope it continues to work for you, only better with a few less hours!
Nobody could possibly tell you how hard it is. But I guess on the flip-side, no one can tell you how amazing it is to be a parent. Good Luck!
It sounds like the job is going great and if you can just scale it back to leave you more time with your family and friends it would be ideal! I think it is great that you have found something you can get out and do for a few hours at a time that you do well and enjoy! (AND make some extra shopping $$!) Hopefully it will all work out for perfectly for you! :-)
Sounds like you've got a good plan, I hope it all works well for you. I have a full-time job, but only end up working part time hours, I agree... I have no idea how people who work a lot do it!
Post a Comment