Saturday, January 26, 2008

Recipe: Grams Chicken Pot Pie Updated










When I received the most recent copy of Krafts What's Cooking, the cover recipe instantly grabbed my attention. Chicken Pot Pie is something that I really enjoy and that is a source of warmth and comfort for me. Of course, in my day they were from the freezer section in little red boxes, ready to be popped in the oven and heated up. I loved the flaky, salty, buttery crust and used to save the rim of my little pie for last, eating all the inside first!

I am forever looking for new ways to cook chicken and that, combined with my fond memories of pot pie prompted me to give this recipe a try.

So, I made it for dinner last night. I really don't think it was necessary to cook the chicken in Italian dressing (one of my pet peeves with the Kraft recipes is that they seem to require unnecessary products) and next time I will choose a different blend of frozen veggies and actually use cream of chicken soup (I used cream of celery, it's all I had on hand). I also found this recipe lacking in flavor. It definitely needs some seasonings. I am going to have to research other pot pie recipes and see what I can add to make this one more tasty.

This was also my first experience with puff pastry and I must say it was so easy to use! I hope that I can find a way to make this recipe taste more like what i'm used to because it was very quick, easy and healthy!

2 comments:

Heather said...

I have tried several pot pie recipes myself and have yet to find the one that reminds me of the little frozen heaven we all grew up with! Guess we just have to keep trying!

Mel :-) said...

Mmmm, I love chicken pot pie on a cold day!! I have heard of some recipes that use pre-made biscuit dough. You put the mix of chicken, seasonings, veggies, and soup and put it in oven-safe mugs. You put the refrigerated biscuits over each one and bake! I have never tried it though!! :-)