Friday, February 8, 2008

Drastic Measures

Why is that we feel the need to potty train? I wish I could just let go and let her decide when she will be ready but part of me just won’t let go. I have read the articles online, I feel like she’s ready but for some reason she is not embracing the potty like I had hoped. She seems to have all the signs that prove she’s ready (she can undress herself, wipe herself, hates being in diapers, hates having a dirty diaper, wants to wear undies like Mommy and Daddy, hates being changed etc) but she is just not motivated to use the potty. Today I sunk to a new low, candy. I bought a bag of Smarties and we are using that as an incentive to get her to go. Oh, and we also moved the potty into the living room so that she could watch tv while waiting to go (it was a video on potty training that I got from the library so not totally unrelated!). I always swore that the potty would stay in the kitchen and now, it’s taken up residence on the middle of my living room floor. Sigh.

She went pee pee once today, got one Smartie and has lost interest. Perseverance right? Please tell me it gets easier?






Can you spot the potty! This is what my living room looks like at dinnertime on a long day.



ETA - As soon as I hit post Bee brought Lea downstairs because she asked to go on the potty. She actually used it to go number two! Maybe we are on to something after all!

4 comments:

Mel :-) said...

I know...It can be a long drawn-out process but just be patient (easier said than done sometimes!) and it will happen. All kids take different amts of time to get it down. Brooke was completely trained a few months before her 3rd b-day and Becca has just now gotten it down completely (well during the days, she still wears pull-ups at night) and she turned 3 in Nov, 3 mos ago! Hang in there! ;-)

Heather said...

I know EXACTLY how you feel, you know my ups and downs! But I really turn turn to Melissa and take her advice to heart...even if it is just to be patient. So, we're in this together!
And BTW - Americans...Canadian 'smarties' are not the same as American...they call OUR smarties, 'Rockets'...their smarties are delicious chocolate candies that we don't have here...which is so wrong!!! They are good! (I've been sent a few boxes before and DON'T FORGET to bring MORE in March!)

Mar said...

Don't worry Heather! They are on my list to pack! :)

Jolene Perry said...

My daughter would run around naked and then put on a pull-up, pee in it, put it in the garbage and continue running. My husband bribed her with chocolate when I told him she had totally beat me (I'm not afraid to admit defeat) and she happily sat on the potty and peed. That was the end of potty training.
I should have put the thing in front of the TV, maybe with the next one...