Saturday, November 17, 2007

Do you know the muffin man...













CARROT PINEAPPLE MUFFINS

1 c. sugar
2 eggs
1 1/2 c. flour
1 c. grated carrot
1 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt
1 tsp. cinnamon
2/3 c. oil
1 tsp. vanilla
1/2 c. drained crushed pineapple


Beat eggs and sugar. Add remaining ingredients and beat well. Fill greased muffin tins 3/4 full. Bake at 350 degrees for 25 minutes. Yield 12.

-------------------------------------------------------------

I found this recipe online and have made these muffins twice so far. The first time I made only 6 muffins and I don't think they lasted 2 days! The kids love them and I think they are a great way to sneak in some fruits and veggies. I love making muffins because they are relatively easy, use only one bowl (most of the time!) and smell delicious when done. I like to think of them as a healthy treat but the reality is that some are as calorie laden as cupcakes!

I am planning to play with the recipe a bit to try to lower the fat and sugar content so feel free to make any suggestions. This time I cut the sugar to 3/4 cup and we'll see how they turn out. I also plan to try replacing some of the oil with applesauce. I am sure you could also add raisins, nuts or even coconut and use whole wheat flour. It's a great basic muffin recipe! If you have any advice on ways to alter the recipe, please feel free to share!

What's really odd if that every time I make a recipe, I never seem to get 12 muffins! I guess I overfill my cups.




2 comments:

Trace said...

I LOVE making muffins... and that's funny cause Carrot Pineapple muffins are my all time favorite!! Especially if they have cream cheese frosting... but that's for an extra special treat!

I have 2 muffin cookbooks... so if you need any ideas - let me know!

You're so right - they are an amazing way to sneak in veggies!

Heather said...

YUM-MEE! I do need to copy that recipe and try it...Riley loves making muffins!