
According to Ottawa Hydro:
A Smart Meter monitors and records how much electricity you use and when you use it. It then communicates this data wirelessly to a central computer. When time-of-use (TOU) prices come into effect, they will vary depending on the time of day, the day of the week, and the month of the year (summer or winter).
This technology will provide customers with the information they need to make choices about how and when they use electricity.
Smart meters:
- Look like standard digital meters and fit into a standard meter base (modifications are not necessary for most installations);
-Measure and store electricity consumption data over short time periods, usually an hour;
-Communicate electricity consumption data automatically to a central computer, usually by radio frequency or power line communications; and
-Do not automate any customer equipment or electricity usage patterns.
https://www.hydroottawa.com/smartmeter/index.cfm?lang=e&template_id=356
These "smart meters" are the province's way of getting us to become more energy conscious and to create a "conservation culture". On the whole I think the idea of being able to see your energy usage on an hourly basis is a really neat idea. And I think there are really great, easy, inexpensive ways to conserve energy (using compact fluorescent bulbs, covering windows with plastic, turning the ac up or the heat down) but I am not 100% sold on the idea of charging for energy usage based on On-Peak, Mid-peak and Off-Peak hours.
I realize that there are way too many customers involved to consider everyones situation but for me, as a stay at home mom, I am going to find it very difficult to do most of my chores (dishwasher, laundry etc) before 6 am or after 10pm. Does this mean that I will be hit hardest? I suppose I can try to avoid doing it during the On-Peak hours (11am-5pm). I think what frustrates me the most is being told when to do things. I know that it's a choice and that I can choose not to follow their suggestions but in an effort to save money (and thus electricity) I will try to follow their guidelines, but I am not happy about it! There are certain things; like turning down the heat that I cannot do as aggressively as others because of the girls so I guess it's important to cut back in other areas.
I will continue my energy saving ways (using the delay start option on the dishwasher to run it at night) and will try to keep the time in mind when doing other chores like laundry. (You know, it would be nice if washers and dryers were made with time delay options as well).
I suppose I will have to wait and see what happens when the program is actually put in place. They are aiming to have the whole province switched over by 2010 so I have some time to get used to the idea!
What is your opinion on the matter? Please share!
4 comments:
THAT STINKS! I would be so MAD at someone else telling me when I can clean my own D#$M house!
And yeah, delay start on washer/dryers would be cool...wonder if the really expensive ones have it?
Don't even get me started with these blasted Smart Meters...
I'm convinced that this plan that Hydro has come up with is very biased towards families that work outside of the home.
Families that have chosen to have a stay-at-home parent, and even people who work out of their home, not to mention the sick, elderly (in short - society's most vulnerable) are being penalized.
And if EVERYONE is doing their washing, etc during non peak hours won't THAT then create a peak hour?
I think people who stay at home during the day (for all of the reasons I just mentioned) should have different peak hours.
And so far no one is lobbying for a more fair system...
Anyways that's MY rant of the day!!
I am SOOOO glad that I am not the only one that feels this way. I wasn't sure if I was being totally irrational or what! Now I see that others share my opinion. Thanks Tracy for sharing yours :)
Maybe we will see some changes to the system in the future?
Post a Comment