Thursday, December 6, 2007

Sticky Chicken Recipe

I am really shocked at the number of new recipes that I find myself trying. I've actually never kept a log and very few recipes have earned a spot in my recipe box. I always thought that I wanted to be one of those people who had 10 recipes or so that they knew and loved and alternated every week. I grew up eating the same meals over and over again and just assumed that that was normal. But, now I find myself deviating from that. I have decided to embrace my inner chef and to stop feeling guilty about trying new recipes. I enjoy it, find it fun and once in a while I do find that gem that gets written onto a little 3.5 x 5 card. I think part of it is that I have a picky toddler and I am forever trying to find healthy, home cooked meals that she will like and eat with gusto (ok, well the gusto part is me dreaming in technicolor!) If this is what prompts me to cook, and try new things then so be it! Just don't be surprised if I serve you something new for dinner!

Chicken is one of those must-haves. I almost always have boneless, skinless chicken breasts in the freezer. I am always trying new and different chicken recipes since we eat it so often. I have been getting really tired of all the tomato based recipes that I have been trying so I decided to give this Sticky Chicken Recipe a try.


Sticky Chicken


Ingredients:

1/2 cup balsamic vinegar

1/2 cup low sodium soy sauce

1/2 cup sugar

2 garlic cloves, minced

1 Tbsp. grated fresh ginger root

1/8 tsp. pepper

3-4 lbs. boneless, skinless chicken breasts

Preparation:

Combine all ingredients except the chicken in a shallow baking dish and stir until sugar dissolves. Add the chicken and turn to coat well. Cover the dish and chill in refrigerator for 24 hours.

When ready to eat, transfer the chicken and marinade to a large heavy nonstick skillet. Bring to a boil over medium heat. Reduce heat to low, cover the skillet and simmer for 15 minutes, stirring each piece occasionally. Check the chicken for doneness (180 degrees F on an instant read thermometer) and remove to a shallow pan as they test done. Cover the cooked chicken and place in warm oven to keep warm.

Increase heat to medium and cook the marinade remaining in skillet until syrupy, stirring constantly, about 8-10 minutes. Return chicken to the skillet, coat it with the sauce, and serve immediately - with lots of hot cooked rice! Serves 8

The marinade was very quick and easy to prepare (I did however used ground ginger) and created a delicious sauce. The chicken was tender and moist (most likely from being cooked in liquids?) with a nice subtle flavor. The sauce reminds me of the dark, sweet sauce you get with garlic spareribs. I think I am going to see what goes into the spare rib sauce and try to incorporate that into this recipe. The whole family enjoyed it and I will definitely make it again!

2 comments:

Heather said...

I go back and forth with new recipes...I like trying them, love new flavors and dishes...but sometimes I end up tossing an entire dinner in the sink and heading to Taco Bell...that's usually when I go back to my classics for a few weeks! Ha ha.
Recipe sounds great! What a cute name too! Glad the fam liked it, that's not an easy task!

Trace said...

Sounds Yummy!! AND boneless breasts are on sale next week at Superstore (maybe loblaws too?) for super cheap!!! I might just try this recipe! Thanks for sharing!!

oh and pork tenderloin is on sale too!! (was thinking of you when i saw that! :))